Established in 1865, Shrewsbury House School is one of England’s oldest boys’ preparatory schools and recently celebrated its 150th year of educating boys. Founded by Henry Wilson, a local clergyman, the School was originally located in the centre of Surbiton and derived its name from Wilson family’s association with the town of Shrewsbury in Shropshire.
In 1910 the School moved to ‘Haulkerton’ a large Victoria ‘Arts and Crafts’ mansion that dated from the mid-nineteenth century on Ditton Hill. The main house was quickly renamed Shrewsbury House and the School has remained here ever since.
For the next 70 years the School was operated by a series of private owners, most notably Henry Hamilton-Miller, who gave the School his family coat of arms and the motto ‘Alta Peto’. In 1979, the School became a charitable trust, administered by a Board of Governors, known as the Shrewsbury House School Trust.
In 2009, Shrewsbury Lodge School, a Pre-Preparatory school in Esher, was brought into the fold. In 2017 Shrewsbury Lodge became Shrewsbury House Pre-Preparatory School and The Rowans School, in Wimbledon, joined the Trust family.
Today, the School has a reputation nationally for sending boys on to some of the very best day and boarding schools in the country.